Over the last year or so, many of The Computing Center's clients have been asking us about file sharing. Questions like: How do we easily share files located on our servers with our home laptops and desktops, iPads, iPhones and the like? All at the same time? Securely? Centrally managed? Keep track of which version is which? Share files with other users?
For the longest time, we didn't offer a really good solution targeted right at the small and medium sized businesses which we serve here in Centeral New York. Oh, there are freebies -- Dropbox and Google Drive come to mind. They are free, but quite unsecure and don't work with servers. Then, there's the "high end" like Sharepoint which is fully configurable and programmable. Good solutions, but require significant and costly configuration and ongoing management.
We've finally found a great solution, "Anchor". It can do everything that the free solutions can and a whole lot more:
- Completely sync your files on any device you wish including servers. That includes Apple Mac/IOS devices, Android smartdevices, as well as any PC or laptop. You don't even need your own device to retrieve files, just access to the Internet -- from anywhere. (I did that just last week at a meeting where I didn't have my iPad with me. The person I was with was really surprised.
- Totally manage which devices are synced and if you lose one (or an employee departs) remotely erase the synced data. None of the freebies can do that.
- Share files with co-workers, clients, or anyone else. And they don't even need to use or know anything about Anchor.
- Keep track of multiple versions of files, regardless of who is working on them to make sure that the most recent file is the one being worked on. And what if you screw up (never happens)....the previous versions are easily accessible.
- Accidently erase a presentation or important spreadsheet. No you didn't. Deleted files can be retrieved -- forever if you wish.
- Files are fully encrypted and the system is HIPAA compliant. We can get you all the details on how that happens and how Anchor keeps you data secure.
There's lots more. No it's not free. However, it's quite inexpensive and unlike the freebies, it can be scaled to ANY size business or organization with terrabytes of storage or hundreds of users. And for those special few, Anchor can be built on a totally private Cloud using your own equipment end-to-end. Call us at 607-257-3524 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for lots more information.
Below are several FAQs about filesharing and Anchor:
Is file-sharing important?
File-sharing is the basis of any document management platform, and mobile file-sharing is an essential component. The days of employees accessing information form a single computer are long gone. Laptops, tablets, and smart phones are used interchangeably on a daily basis; users must be able to securely sync their files across all devices for document management to be truly efficient.